Sunday, April 14, 2013

Marathon Day Has Arrived

I just returned from the pasta party that Dana-Farber holds the night before the marathon. It is held in two ballrooms at the Copley Marriott in Boston. There were roughly 1,500 people in attendance, from the founder of the Barr program, Delores Weaver, to some of the physicians and scientists at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.  Then of course, their are the runners and their family and friends, volunteers and, most especially the patient partners that several of the runners will be running in honor of. I can't think of a better way of inspiring the DFMC runners than with this gathering. It truly amazes me and I am reminded each time I attend the pasta party of just how much of an impact the DFMC program is and what it has meant to so many people.

Since its inception 24 years ago, the Barr Program in basic cancer research has raised over $56 million dollars. The first year there was just 19 runners on the team, this year there are roughly 550 runners. Through the efforts of the runners, donors, doctors and scientists and volunteers, we have given hope to so many cancer patients and their families. We were reminded that tomorrow is a time to celebrate and to reflect on all the accomplishments directly related to the Barr Program. Delores Weaver gave a speech and graciously thanked everyone in the room for being an integral part of something that was just a dream 24 years ago. She also told the runners that she would be on the marathon course at mile 7 and mile 17 tomorrow and told us to stop by her for a "high five" or a hug.

While it is true that each member of the team is running for specific people, there are those of us who are running for children, either those that are currently battling cancer, those that battled cancer and are in remission, and the children that lost their battles to cancer. This is a very powerful, moving and often sad time during the pasta party. The "In Memory" part of the program is first and it is where each child's picture is shown on the screen. 27 smiling faces were shown this year. I know how difficult it is for the Dubuc family to see Matty's beautiful and smiling face on the screen. My heart goes out to them and I really appreciate the fact that they choose to attend the pasta party knowing that this is part of the program. The Dubuc's, my running partner Kerry & I all wore our Don't Stop Believing shirts, in honor of Matty. As many of you have come to know, Matty continues to touch so many lives. I can't say enough about the admiration I have for the Dubuc's.


This is the picture of Matty that was shown.

Johnny, Sandy, Chris & Zach, along with my running partner Kerry!

Next is the Patient Partner program which recognizes and honors those children currently in treatment or those children who are in remission, and the runners they are paired up with. The name of the child and the runner are announced and they proceed to the stage. When all was said and done, there were 51 children and 51 runners on the stage. What a beautiful sight to see and a standing ovation was given to honor each and every one of them.

Many runners were recognized for their excellence in fundraising while other runners where recognized for milestone years being on the team, 5, 10, 15 & 20. This is my 5th year running for Dana-Farber. Thank you Sandy for taking this one of me.


Me and the rest of the team hitting the 5 year milestone
 
 
I could go on and on about how inspirational the pasta party is. In the 5 years that I have been on the team (plus the 2 years that I was a volunteer), I have met some of the most amazing individuals, all of whom have been touched by cancer. It truly has been an honor to be part of the DFMC family and I am a better person because of it. I couldn't help tonight but to think that back in 2007, when I attended my first pasta party, I really had no idea how much being on this team would impact my life. It most definitely has been one of the best decisions I've ever made. I also want to thank my brother Jeff and our friend Ken for attending the party. My brother Jeff has been to each event and has been waiting for me close to the finish line each year. I love you Jeff! 
 
Below is the team singlet that I will be wearing tomorrow. As promised, I have listed the names of each person that I was asked to honor this year.
 
Front
 
 



Back

Fundraising Update:  I am humbled by the fact that since my last blog entry just two short weeks ago, we have increased our fundraising total by $1,962 bringing the total to date to $8,352.00. If you will recall, my original goal was $7,000. How amazing is this? I cannot even begin to express how grateful I am to each and every one of you that have made a donation thus far. Keep those donations coming.

For anyone interested in following my progress along the course tomorrow, please do the following.

Text RUNNER to the number 345678.
When you get a response back, type in my bib # 23071.
Then you should get a text back showing my name.

You will get text messages when I cross the 6.2 mile marker (10K), 13.1 mile marker (half marathon), 18.6 mile marker (30k) and when I finish.

Lastly, I have done everything within my control to prepare for tomorrow's marathon, but, as luck would have it, last week I came down with bronchitis. I am still feeling the effects of it tonight, but not nearly as bad as I was a week ago. I have been doing everything the doctor said I should do this week to combat it and have been told that I can run but not to overdo it. I'm not quite sure how one goes about not overdoing it while running a marathon. As it stand now, I'm am going on the premise that I will run tomorrow. I have no idea if I am going to be able to finish, but I am going to give it everything I've got. I will line up behind the starting line in the morning and hope and pray that with 7 marathons under my belt and listening to my body, I will be able to see this one to the finish line.  I have enough inspiration from all the people I'm running for and the support of my friends, family and the half a million people that will be cheering all the way from Hopkinton to Boston. I also am motivated because I asked Chris, Matty's brother, to join me at mile 25 and run to the finish with me.

Please keep me and all the runners in your thoughts tomorrow. I promise you'll all know the outcome by the end of the day tomorrow, if not sooner.

It is still not too late to donate, so, if you haven't done so yet, please visit the link below to donate.
www.rundfmc.org/2013/stevep.

Off to Hopkinton in the morning.

With gratitude and so much appreciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment