Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Goodbyes are not forever..... -Anonymous

On Sunday, January 27th, our family received word that the matriarch of our family passed away. Affectionately called mom, Nana, LT and peach, Laura Tombarello soared with the angels the day after celebrating her 89th birthday, following a month-long hospitalization. As my step-mother Jane said so eloquently of her mother, "We all did our best to care for you." "If love alone could have saved you, you would live forever." Of the many things people remembered about Laura during her memorial and all the pictures of her on display for everyone to see, the one constant was her smile. She loved to laugh and she smiled all the time. Thank you for your beautiful smile.....until we meet again.

Goodbyes are not forever. Goodbyes are not the end.
They simply mean I'll miss you until we meet again!
- Anonymous




I dedicated my training run to Laura this past Saturday morning and what a great run I had. I was able to cover 17 miles in 2 hours and 40 minutes. A course known for being extremely hilly, especially the last half mile, I felt strong from start to finish. Thank you Nana, Laura, Peach.....for being the wind beneath my wings.

Barr Impact Statement: Chemotherapy: Determining When to Use



- Discovery of a new test to determine whether specific cancer cells will die from chemotherapy, enabling a better way to determine which patients will benefit from chemotherapy.
Normal cells of the body are constructed so that if they become sufficiently damaged or
abnormal, programmed cell death, or apoptosis, rapidly eliminates them before they can
cause any harm. Cancer cells, which bear many abnormalities, apparently have found ways
to escape this death sentence through “antideath” proteins. Anthony Letai, MD, PhD, used
Barr Program funds in 2005 to develop a test to determine whether a patient’s specific
cancer cells will be killed by chemotherapy, thereby enabling the selection of the most
appropriate treatment. Dr. Letai is currently collaborating with drug companies who are
interested in commercializing this test and making it available clinically.

Just before we left the club to start our run, we heard from a fellow teammate whose wife is currently battling cancer. He said that although she has a long road ahead of her, they both remain hopeful that, through the care she is receiving at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, she will one day beat this disease. He too battled prostate cancer at one time.


 
Boston Sports Club in Waltham was where we gathered this past Saturday, though most, if not all of the run takes place along the back roads of Lincoln, MA. What I especially like about the course is the out and backs that we do on a few of the roads. This is not a course where we all run out in one direction, hit the turn around point, then head back to where we started. Instead, we can choose which part of the course we want to run on, depending on the distance we plan to run that day. What's really nice about this training run is that, because there aren't that many homes on some of the roads we run on and therefore, not a lot of traffic, we often pass our teammates running back from a turn around point where we get to wave to one another, high-five each other, and tell each other "nice job!" I really appreciate hearing my fellow teammates saying "looking strong" and I know they appreciate hearing that from me as well. As I mentioned, this course is notorious for many hills, the biggest one with only a half mile to go. I don't think it's longer than heartbreak hill on the marathon course, but it is definitely steeper! But I am always reminded by Kerry that each "obstacle" is just another opportunity to get stronger.........enough said !!!!!

There were many positives about this particular run: 1) no fatigue....I felt as though I could have run more (but was glad it was over for this week), 2) no quad or calve muscle cramping (I used to cramp all the time, both in training runs and races, but seem to have figured out, after 4 years, how to avert them), 3) MCL tear is still not an issue when I run, 4) plantar fasciitus not a factor either !!! The funny, or not so funny thing about distance running, is the good week/bad week thing where some weeks you just run better than others. This was clearly a good week for me, and for that I am grateful ! The challenge for me, whether it's 90 degrees or 20 degrees, is my overactive sweat glands which makes keeping dry, especially in cold temperatures, my particular "challenge. As always, a great big Thank You to the volunteers who braved the cold temperatures to help us out. I am able to leave a change of dry clothing, like a jacket and extra hats and gloves, just in case !!!! I saw this a while back and felt it was made especially with me in mind.




Ten weeks from tonight, I will be reflecting on another Boston Marathon that has come to pass. Ten weeks seems so far away, but the truth of the matter is that it will be here before we know it. What it really means is that there are only seven more group training runs left. And, between now and then, I hope to work my way up to some 18 mile runs, 20 mile runs and with any luck, a 22 miler 3 weeks before the big day.

Fundraising: I am happy to announce that our fundraising efforts, thanks to so many of you, continue to come in. As of today and with your help, I am at $2,330 towards my personal goal of $7,000. It was announced at Saturday's group run that, collectively, the team is at $1.2 million towards the team goal of $4.6 million. So again, a great big thank you to those of you that have already donated.

Nora Searle

While volunteering at one of the group training runs last year, I met a woman named Pamela. She asked me how I got involved with the Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge and I shared my story. I asked her the same question and it was then that she told me about her niece Nora. Nora was diagnosed with synovial cell sarcoma, a soft tissue cancer, during the summer of 2009. It is a rare cancer. Only about 1 to 3 individuals in a million people are diagnosed with this disease each year. It can occur at any age, but it is more common among teenagers and young adults. I saw Pamela a few more times during last winter always asking her how Nora was doing.

Nora fought long and hard, receiving the best care from her doctors and team at the Jimmy Fund Clinic. Sadly, Nora lost her battle on April 15th, 2012, at age 14.

I asked Pamela if she thought it would be ok to share Nora's story. Pamela spoke to her brother Bob & his wife Jennifer, Nora's parents. Though still very difficult for them to talk about, they were gracious enough, through Pamela, to allow her to tell me a little bit about who Nora was. "In her too-short time with us, she touched many lives and we are all better for having had her with us at all." "She was smart, funny, had a great fashion sense and could beat just about anyone in cribbage, even when highly medicated." "I was her victim more times than I care to admit." "One of her greatest loves was soccer, both playing and following all levels of (mostly women's) leagues." "Nora also loved the Red Sox and had the great adventure of going to Spring Training 2011 with the Jimmy Fund, where she got to meet and have her picture taken with many of the players." "Jacoby Ellsbury being a particular favorite." Besides her parents, Nora also left behind a younger brother Owen, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins.




Here is Nora playing soccer and a picture of her taken at a family wedding. Regarding Nora's fashion sense, Nora's dad wanted everyone to know that she is wearing his suit coat because it was cold this particular day. He didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea. Between the sun glasses, the pose and everything going on with Nora's outfit, I'd say she was definitely making a fashion statement !!!! Even though I have never met Bob & Jennifer, I am so grateful to them, and to Pamela, for allowing me to share their personal story here. The Boston Marathon is being held this year on April 15th, Nora's 1st angelversary. I will be sure to honor her memory in a very special way that day. Thank you again Bob, Jennifer & Pamela!

As we all know, cancer is not prejudiced. It can hit any one of us at any time. Young or old, black or white, male or female. A World With Cancer is our reality now. A World Without Cancer is the ultimate goal. Will you help me be a difference maker and make a donation? 100% of your donation goes directly to The Barr Program.


Until next week....I thank each of you again for taking the time to read this weeks blog and for your support!

With gratitude and many inspired miles........Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment