Sunday, February 24, 2013

Running is the greatest metaphor for LIFE .......

The primary picture at the top of my blog states that Hopkinton, the start of the Boston Marathon, is where "it all starts." While in this particular case, there is truth to that sign, for me it started many, many years ago and no where near Hopkinton. I had no idea that single decision, to start running, would take me places, and I'm not just talking about places as in destinations, but places and experiences I most certainly could have missed out on had it not been for running. More specifically, running as a member of the Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge Team.

How it all started for me: I dabbled with running, no more than maybe 5 miles at a time, some 15 years ago. I also lived in an apartment at mile 24.5 of the Boston Marathon course for 3 years and said to myself each time as I watched it from the sidelines....."maybe next year." But next year came and went from 1993 until 2006. That was 13 years of "maybe next year!"  Why 2006? Losing my good friend Jordan to pancreatic cancer in August of 2006, 6 months after diagnosis, at age 47 was one reason. This is Jordan and me in Palm Springs, February 2006.



Reason #2. Even though I had already experienced the havoc and wrath that cancer leaves behind on family, friends and loved one's with my mom's battle and eventual death in 1979 when she was just 37 years old, the truth of the matter was that I didn't believe I had what it took to commit to, train for and complete the marathon distance. My younger brother Jeff and my mom....circa 1973.



Reason #3. I was already approaching my mid 40's......if not now, then probably never really resonated for me !!! During the years that I chose to be a spectator at the Boston Marathon, I couldn't help but notice all the runners wearing singlets representing the different charities they were running for. Ironically, I don't ever recall seeing the Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge singlet! But in September of 2006, I went onto the B.A.A. website and, under charities, found the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. And the rest, as they say....is history !

I titled this weeks blog.......running is the greatest metaphor for life because there is so much truth to this statement. Running quotes and metaphors abound........here are just a few of my favorites:

"Running is the greatest metaphor for life, because you get out of it what you put into it." - Oprah Winfrey.  I'd change it up a bit because for me, I've gotten a heck of a lot more out of it even though I've put a lot into it.....being a member of the Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge Team ! Although 3 marathons I have completed were not associated with the Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge, and the sense of accomplishment was amazing in and of itself, nothing pales in comparison to running with this group and for such an important cause.....A World Without Cancer!

"I run because it's so symbolic of life. You have to drive yourself to overcome the obstacles. You might feel that you can't. But then you find your inner strength, and realize you're capable of so much more than you thought." - Arthur Blank  Obstacles or excuses.......such a fine line as there have been many of both. But through inner strength, perseverance and even belief in yourself, you can reach your goals!

After two consecutive weeks of our group training runs being canceled due to snow falling on the days we were scheduled to run, and choosing to run indoors on the treadmill to log miles nonetheless, we were able to meet as a group yesterday and run along the Minuteman Bikeway in Lexington. Other than the half a dozen times that the path intersects active roads, it is a very safe and accommodating place to run. I can't stress enough how great it was to meet as a group again, be reminded why what we are doing is so important, (not that any of us needs that reminder), and for me to log another 17 miles in this weeks long run preparing me for the Boston Marathon, only 7 weeks away now!

As hard as training for and running a marathon can be, I love the fact and am grateful that I am able to make my small contribution to the greater good by running. With only 4 group training runs left, we will be working our way up to a long run distance of anywhere from 20 to 22 miles. The premise, and it's typically true, is that if you can run 20 to 22 miles, you can complete 26.2 miles. Even though, for me, this is not uncharted territory, it never comes easy and requires me, both physically and mentally, to go to a place I only go every once in a while. Although I do have experience on my side, I still get anxious when the time comes.

Before we set out on our run, we gather as a group to sign in, say hi, go through our pre-run stretches and rituals and hear announcements including thanking the volunteers for their help, reading one of the many Barr impact statements, fundraising grand total to date, upcoming fundraising events runners are having, and typically one or more motivational and inspirational stories. This weeks inspiration.........Banners.....lots and lots of banners, all representing children who are currently battling cancer. We also signed banners for two adults battling cancer; one for a runner whose father is battling lung cancer as a non-smoker, and the other for a woman named Carol who my running partner Kerry knows very well.  Everyone was asked to leave a note on each of the banners letting them know that we were running with them in mind and offering hope and encouragement.  There were a total of 15 banners !!!!! Here are just some of them.



I  N  S  P  I  R  A  T  I  O  N 







In life, it's not the cards you're dealt with, but how you play them.  In the five years that I have been associated with DFMC, I am reminded time and again, of people who had every right, justifiably so, to turn a life-altering event that could have left a negative impact on them, into something positive. As a community, we are all dealing with the ramifications cancer has played out in each of our lives. I think it's pretty safe to assume that if you have been around long enough, each and every one of us has either lost a friend, sibling, parent, child, co-worker or relative to cancer or knows someone currently battling this awful disease. Or, someone just mentioned, at some point in time, will be diagnosed with some form of cancer.

The Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge Team is really a melting pot of runners, scientists, doctors, nurses, caregivers, volunteers, donors and most importantly, the cancer patients themselves. All of us have something at stake: ridding the world of cancer. Every life is important. Each life cut short, because of this terrible disease, is yet another reminder to us all that a call to action is required ! We all can do our part. I am reminded of the saying "the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts." Every individual’s efforts added together usually don’t result in something nearly as great as the whole body of people working cohesively does.

Just as a reminder, The Marathon Challenge directs 100 percent of funds raised to the Claudia Adams Barr Program in Innovative Basic Cancer Research, which enables researchers at the leading edge of scientific sleuth work to achieve better cure rates and to enhance patients' quality of life. DFMC took its first steps in 1990 as one of the inaugural organizations in the official B.A.A. Boston Marathon® Charity Program.

We have come so far, but we are not done yet.

"Running is not, as it so often seems, only about what you did in your last race or about how many miles you ran last week. It is, in a much more important way, about community, about appreciating all the miles run by other runners, too." - Richard O'Brien  Here again, I can't help but think about being part of the Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge Team and the collective, community effort each and every one of us, runners and non-runners alike, plays in working towards a world without cancer !



Fundraising Update: I am again happy to announce that with each new blog entry, we are making a difference on the fundraising front. As of now, and with your generosity, we have raised $3,985.00, including checks to be applied to my web page. It was also announced yesterday that collectively, the team has raised 1.6 million towards the 4.6 million goal! With just 7 weeks to go before marathon Monday, there is still a lot of fundraising to be done. I again want to thank those of you who have already donated. My goal next Saturday is to log 20 miles on my long run to get me that much better prepared to run 26.2 miles on April 15th. Will you consider making a donation this week and help me and our team get one step closer to a world without cancer?

www.rundfmc.org/2013/stevep.

With gratitude, appreciation and many, many inspired miles.......

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment