Monday, March 4, 2013

A New Milestone ....... the big 50 !!!!!!!

On this day, March 4, 1963 at 12:03 a.m, I entered the world. It doesn't seem possible that today I turn 50 years old. Maybe it's because I've always felt young at heart or maybe it's because I've been told on a few occasions that I look younger than I am. Or, it might just have something to do with the fact that in 6 weeks from today, I'll be running in my 8th marathon. As of lately though, my body is telling me that I am not the younger version of me that I would like to think I am, but I digress.

Whatever the case may be, what it really boils down to is choosing to embrace where you are in life. Did I want this day to come? On some level, probably not, but then I am reminded of so many people that were robbed of this opportunity. When thought of that way, it really is a no-brainer. Before I started working on this week's entry, I went online hoping to find something that would help put into perspective what turning 50 is or, more importantly, what life lessons should be learned by age 50. Ironically, Regina Brett wrote a list to "celebrate" growing older just prior to turning 50. She called it: 50 Lessons Life Taught Me. Here are a handful that resonated well with me:

Don't take yourself seriously, no one else does.
Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present.
Don't compare your life to others'. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
Forgive everyone everything.
All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back.
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Your job won't take care of you when your sick. Your friends will. Stay in touch.
Growing old beats the alternative - dying young.

The last two really it home. I took it upon myself to throw myself a "guess who's turning 50 party" on Saturday night. What initially started out as a small gathering with a few close friends, morphed into a party with about 40 people, including family members, relatives, friends (from way, way back and recent), and people I have had the privilege of meeting since I took up this hobby called running. It was an amazing night, one I won't ever forget. I owe a great big thank you to 3 friends that I've know since I was a kid, Nancy, Paul & Margaret. I hope everyone is as lucky as I am to have friends like this. I love you guys !!!  Stay in touch !


And as for the second one.......well......isn't it clear ?????

My status update during the party was "Totally amazed at the turnout tonight for my 50th birthday. I'm a very lucky guy!" As a Facebook subscriber, while I sit here typing this latest blog entry, my phone is constantly beeping with Happy Birthday posts.  I am enamored by all the well wishes via text, posts on Facebook and phone calls I've received today. I have a so many thank yous to write this week. Life Is Good !!!!!!

Training Update: With only 6 weeks until the marathon, the opportunity to train for it shortens. Back on Saturday, the group met at the Boston Sports Club in Waltham. This is a course we ran about a month ago. Very scenic, but also very hilly. Even though I came down with a cold towards the middle part of last week, I decided to run anyway. When deciding whether to run with a cold, runners use the above/below the neck rule. Yes......there is such a thing. If your symptoms are above the neck (runny nose, sneezing, sore throat), then it is ok to run. However, if your symptoms are below the neck (chest congestion, intense coughing, vomiting, diarrhea), you are well advised not to run. Well......my symptom was mild chest congestion only,  so I ran. The first 45 minutes were rough, but once I settled into my pace I felt better. So good, in fact, that I was able to log in a 20 mile run. I was very pleased about this because up until this weeks run, my longest run had been 17 miles. Unfortunately, I've been paying the price since Sunday morning. I'm slightly better today and hope to be well enough to get in another 20 mile run this Saturday. With only 3 long runs left, I don't want to lose the ground I've gained, but it's more important to stay healthy too! My plan is to run 20 miles this Saturday, 18 miles the following Saturday and then 22 miles the Saturday after that.

On my blog, along the right hand margin, under the picture of Matty, is a training mileage log widget which keeps track of the miles I log. According to it, I have logged 433 miles since I started my blog back in December. I average about 30 to 40 miles a week, some running and some elliptical work. My guess is that come marathon day, I should be somewhere between 550 and 600 miles! I'll be curious to see what it ends up being.

Fundraising Update: Each week when I update my blog I'm also able to report an increase in the amount donated since the previous weeks entry. This week the increase is $815 !!!! I've said it before and I'll say it again.....I am so grateful for the donations I've received so far. As of right now, and because of  the generosity of so many people, we are up to $4,800, including the checks that I have at home that I will be sending to Dana-Farber this week. I asked people that were coming to my party to make donations to the Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge in lieu of giving me presents. $400 of the $815 this week are because of that. We are just $2,200 away from my goal of $7,000. So again, I thank those of you who have already donated.

Another widget on my blog, located right below the Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge 2013 widget that takes you directly to my fundraising page, is the Countdown to the Boston Marathon 2013 widget. According to the clock, there is just 41 days until we all take our places behind the starting line. It was announced Saturday that as a team, we are at the $1.8 million mark.  Please consider making a donation if you haven't done so already.

With gratitude, appreciation and many, many inspired miles.....
Steve

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Steve.

    Get well soon and best of luck on accomplishing your fund raising goal - you're so close indeed!
    Noreen

    ReplyDelete